I have no joke been writing a number of blog posts and then in the middle of them either got cut for time or felt like I was forcing writing so nothing has been posted. As I was catching up on my favorite blogs, I was reading Robyn’s goals and it inspired me to create some for myself this new semester. Since I’m still a student most of my life revolves around the chunks of time that school is in session. I live my life by semesters and breaks- weird?
Anyways, before we leave for Europe on Monday (Vienna, Austria and then 3 towns in Italy) I want to get into a good headspace with school while I have a few moments to really be intentional. I was on campus today purchasing my parking permit so I think it’s nice and fresh in my mind.
Spain vacation last summer- my sister was an au pair!
This will be my last typical school year with 2 traditionally packed semesters and the rest of my time will be spent in my rotations. I’m taking a good number of 5000 level classes which are just the required Masters level classes in addition to community nutrition which is still a 4000 level class. I’m excited for all of them to be honest! Most excited for the class regarding counseling skills.
What I really want to work towards is this
- Work hard the whole time through. I’m pretty good at this at the beginning of the semester but then let life stress me out with my other 226326 commitments that I start to doze off in preparing for class or catch myself doing other little tasks rather than stay totally focused during lecture. I want to focus on being present in all aspects of my school work.
(not a bad looking campus eh?!)
2. Continue to step outside of what is simply required. I could literally sit on my booty all day and just show up when I feel like it to class and probably still get decent grades but that’s not how I do things. I already committed to attending FNCE in October in Chicago and I want to continue to attend online seminars or other continuing education even though I’m not an RD yet. Doing this allows me to network as well as learn from RDs in the field.
3. No social media past 9 pm (school nights/study nights). I can get sucked into comparison to other people especially later at night when I’m just in bed reading or bored studying and need a distraction. I think with that cut off time I’ll be able to stay focused on the task at hand which most of the time is winding down or filling up on info.
4. Intentionally keep up with relationships. Keeping up with friends is hard. I’ve been out of college for about a year now and it’s such a change. This summer at camp I thought long and hard about relationships and I want to pour energy and time into those that make me a better human and that make me happy- life is too short for anything less. That might mean a few more phone calls, a written letter, or a face time call. Whatever it is I want to be a little better!
(forever thankful for Delta Zeta for bringing me this human)
5. Find just one day a week to disconnect from school. I don’t even know if this will be possible but I’m going to really really try.
Some advisors running on bad food and little sleep in Sacramento for the week with our Y and G teens- who btw are some of the smartest- most driven teens in the country!
That’s it. I’ll check in with you guys in December with these! What are some of your goals?!